Image Map

Dads Day

6/16/13

This holiday has always been a awkward holiday for me until recently. I was raised by my grandparents and growing up we never celebrated Fathers Day. Sure, we'd participate in art and make the crafts everyone else was making, but at home it was just a normal day. As I've grown up and have become extremely close to my grandparents I have started to feel different. You see my grandpa IS my DAD. He is the one who raised me, who attended every single one of my soccer games, who picked me up from middle school dances, who drove me to school every morning because I didn't want to take the bus, who let me take over his minivan after I got my license, who helped with every school project, and who did every single thing he possibly could for my brother and I. And he still does. He's who I call when I need help with a recipe or the car, who I text when I get a good grade, and who I tell funny stories to. There is a difference between a father and a dad in my opinion- one who creates and one who raises. So even though he is not my father he is my dad. I owe him everything and love him more than words can describe. His Parkinson's diagnosis has made me realize how important it is to never take your family for granted- so even though we didn't really celebrate Dads Day growing up we sure do now! I hope that one day he will be able to be a great-grandpa to my children and make them laugh the way he only can.

Happy Dad's day grandpa- I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment